Thursday, July 27, 2006

posted by Ofer

A Linguistic Question

Is there a one-word English synonym for "members of Hizbullah" ? Maybe Hizbullans ? Hizbullites ? Writing the explicit 3-word version over and over again is getting tiring. Any ideas will be appreciated.


Blogger ran said...


1:57 AM  
Blogger the perpetual refugee said...

This is a tough one because there are different Hizb'Allahs.

You have the social organization that actually does some pretty good, impressive, efficient work.

You have the political party that has 12 members of Parliament that seem to do an OK job defending their interests (not that of the country...just their interests).

Then you have the military wing that keeps raining missiles on your northern cities while beating it's chest that it will go further south but never does.

The reasons I write this is because different people follow Hizb'Allah for different reasons.

Some are eternally grateful for their charity/hospital/schooling work.

Some are eternally grateful for their political stands.

Others just want them to "defend" 'us' against 'you' at any price.

And I have different names for the different supporters....

8:37 AM  
Blogger Elon said...

well said, perpetual (we are on first name basis here, aren't we ;)

1:02 PM  
Blogger Ofer said...

So how about this: We'll call the members of parliament: Hizbullaticians, the militants: Hizbullies, and now we just need a name for the social workers ...

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home